2018 - 2019 Board of Trustees
Lorraine Gayden was elected without opposition to a five-year term effective January 2016. Gayden is a graduate of Burglund High School, Jackson State University, Purdue University, and the University of Southern Mississippi. She retired from McComb School District in 2002 as an English teacher at McComb High School. She previously taught at Alcorn State University and served as Director of the Pike County Department of Welfare (now Human Services). She served as president of the McComb Association of Educators from 2010 - 2015 and on the McComb School District's Strategic Plan Development Committee in 2014. She is a member of Walker's Chapel Free Will Baptist Church where she serves as Sunday School director and in music, mission, and education ministries. She and her husband Robert have one daughter, A McComb High School graduate and University of Arkansas-Monticello graduate, and two grandchildren.
Eliece S. Rayborn, appointed to the McComb School District Board of Trustees in 2007, is employed by Pike County Economic Development District, Inc. She is a graduate of McAdams High School and Alcorn State University. Mrs. Rayborn is a member of Community of Believers Cultural Fellowship Church where she serves as the secretary on the Senior Usher Ministry. She and her husband Major (R) James W. Rayborn have three grown children.
Maurice Chester, Secretary
Maurice Chester is serving his fourth term as a McComb School District Board of Trustee. Mr. Chester is retired. He was employed with the Mississippi Employment Security Commission for 30 years. He is a graduate of Higgins High School and Alcorn State University. Mr. Chester is a member of Rose Hill Freewill Baptist Church where he serves as a Sunday School teacher. Mr. Chester has two grown children.
C. Ashley Atkinson has served as the School Board Attorney since 1978. He is a 1960 graduate of McComb High School. He earned his bachelor of arts from Tulane University in 1964 and his Juris Doctorate from the University of Mississippi in 1969. He is married to Gaye T. Atkinson and they have four children, Payne, Cea, Claire and Erin, who are all graduates of McComb High School. Gaye was a first grade teacher at Otken Elementary in the McComb School District. He and Gaye are members of Centenary United Methodist Church. He also represents the McComb Housing Authority and the McComb Civil Service Commission.
PROCEDURE FOR CITIZENS ADDRESSING THE SCHOOL BOARD
The request must be received in the office of the superintendent no later than 12 noon on the Tuesday preceding the board meeting.
If the board agenda is too crowded, the matter will be held for the next board meeting.
The request must contain the following information:
- Name, address, telephone number, and signature of the person making the request.
- The date of the board meeting.
- The specific reason(s) for the request.
- Officials in the school district previously contacted about the matter.
- Requests from groups shall specify the name, address, and telephone number of the spokesperson of the group. The spokesperson will be the only voice of the group.
To promote order and efficiency, the following rules will apply to persons or groups coming before the board:
- No person or group will be recognized without first being placed on the agenda.
- Only the individual designated as spokesperson will be allowed to speak for the group.
- If any person willfully disturbs a public school meeting, that person is in violation of the law.
- The board may make and enforce resolutions, rules and regulations for the conduct of persons attending board meetings.
- Speakers will adhere to a reasonable time limit and will speak only on the subject (s) stated in the written request.
- The board reserves the right to take matters under advisement.